To the south of Utah, and three hours by road from Las Vegas, you find the Zion National park, whose main attraction is the so-called Zion Canyon.
You can consider this national park on one of the alternative routes in the west coast trip for visit national parks from northern Arizona and southern Utah, such as the Grand Canyon, the Monument Valley or the Bryce Canyon.
The so-called Zion Canyon, as I said, its main attraction, is a hollow of up to 800 meters deep formed by the Virgin river, which extends up to 24 kilometers.
In this canyon are the Zion Narrows, which are all the throats formed by the aforementioned Virgin river.
Although I did not have the opportunity to visit this national park on my trip along the west coast, I include the practical information that is collected on its official website, which will help you plan your own visit.
Useful information to visit Zion Park
- Schedule The park is from 8 in the morning until 8 in the afternoon, in summer. In winter, it closes at 5 in the afternoon.
- He Visitors Center Open from 8 to 17 hours.
- To avoid car traffic and given the parking problems of the Zion Canyon Visitor Center, there is a free bus service since Springdale.
- In the city you have to look for the signs that tell us where to leave the car to catch the bus, ”Shuttle Parking" This bus serves from April to November.
- For visit the Zion National Park, it's advisable take the tour on the free bus, which lasts 90 minutes and takes you to prominent places to enjoy the best panoramic views of the Zion Canyon.
- During the visit it is advisable visit the area known as Zion Narrows, where you can see deep meandering gorges.
- And if you are a hiking expert, you may dare to make the great excursion on foot to visit the Kolob Arch, a rocky bridge formed by erosion. Of course, you will need up to 12 hours of walking.
- He price of admission (2015) to Zion National Park It is 25 dollars, and it includes access to a car with all its occupants.
- Now, if in your trip along the west coast of the United States you are going to visit several national parks, you can consider the option of acquiring the Annual Pass, a tourist pass with annual validity that for $ 80 for a vehicle and four passengers allows you to access the vast majority of the mentioned parks.
How to get to Zion National Park
From Las Vegas, one of the most common routes to visit the Zion National Park, you have to go northeast on the Interstate 15, and after 204 kilometers you have to turn right, on the UT-9 towards Hurricanefor later get to Springdale, the town that is the main headquarters of the mentioned park.
Near the town is the south entrance of the park, from which you access the Zion Canyon Visitor Center.
Distances to Zion National Park
- from Las Vegas to Zion National Park, 270 kilometers, 3 hours.
- from Salt Lake City to Zion National Park, 310 kilometers, 4 hours and three quarters.
- from Bryce Canyon National Park to Zion National Park, 85 kilometers, 1 hour.
- from the Grand Canyon to Zion National Park, 357 kilometers, 5 hours.
- from Monument Valley to Zion National Park, 390 kilometers, 5 hours and a quarter.
More information Zion National park
- Official website of Zion National Park
- Information of Zion National Park on Wikipedia